What is Kani Shawl?14/07/2019
What is Secret Behind Shani Shingnapur Village?16/07/2019
What is Coorg Orange?
- Coorg Orange is Popularly known as Coorg Mandarin.
- The source of Coorg oranges isn't obviously known, in spite of the fact that it is accepted to be presented from Central India around 300 years back.
- Coorg orange is classed under mandarin gathering (Citrus reticulata) and furthermore famously known as Santras in India.
- They are likewise alluded as free coat orange.
- Coorg orange, Nagpur orange, Khasi orange, Rangtra, Kamala, Sikkim orange, Yemmedoddi orange are for the most part strains of mandarin and every one of them are known for their succulence, taste and quality.
- Coorg orange is profoundly nutritious, sweet and flavorful, having great restorative worth as well.
- Coorg orange has got its own uncommon taste and flavor with very much mixed sugar and corrosive substance.
Why Coorg Orange is Famous in World?
- Greenish in Colour.
- Tight Sking.
- Sweet and Sour Taste.
- Man made hybrids of Mandarins.
- Coorg Mandarin was given the Geographical Indication in 2006.
Where Coorg Orange is Cultivated?
Coorg Orange ( Coorg Mandarin) Basically cultivated in Kodagu in Karnataka, India.
Coorg Orange Characteristics
| SUBJECTS || DETAILS |
| Color || Golden Red Or Sunkiss |
| Fruit Size || Medium |
| Shape || Oblate To Globose |
| Juice Per Cent || 40-45 |
| Total Soluble Solids || 10-12 % |
| Acidity || 0.525-0.576% |
| Ascorbic Acid || 35-40% |
What is Production Capacity of Coorg Orange?
- In 1960 Coorg Orange (Coorg Mandarin) Cultivated area was 24,000 Gectare Area.
- Now in 2020 Coorg orange cultivated area is less than 2,000 Hectares.
- Coorg Orange was Secondary Cultivated crop after Coffee.
- Due to Various Crops Diseases and Emergence of Nagpur Orange and other various
- factors Coorg Orange Cultivation has decreased in recent Years.
- Each Coorg Orange tree production capacity is come down from 50 kg to 10 kg.
- Average Production of Coorg Mandarin is approximately more than 45,000 Tonnes.
Geographical Indication of Coorg Orange?
- The Department of cultivation of the Government of Karnataka documented an application for a "Coorg Orange" GI which was enrolled in 2004.
- The two fundamental targets were to secure and restore the customary yield assortment and to give great planting material carrying financial advancement to the area.
- A third target showed up later, when the GI has been enlisted: it could be utilized to ensure the biological system where the orange is developed (Claude et.al 2007).
- Endeavors are likewise being embraced through the National Horticultural Mission Progarmme to restore the development of Coorg Orange.
GI Tag Application Details of Coorg Orange?
| SUBJECTS || ESTD. |
| Application Number || 33 |
| Geographical Indications || Coorg Orange|
| Status || Registered|
| Applicant Name || Department of Horticulture|
| Applicant Address || Department of Horticulture, Govt. of Karnataka, Biotechnology Centre, Hulimavu, PB No.7648, Bangalore – 560 076|
| Date of Filing || 31-03-2005|
| Class || 31|
| Goods || Agriculture|
| Geographical Area || Karnataka|
| Priority Country || India|
| Journal Number || 8|
| Availability Date || 21-10-2005|
| Certificate Number || 18|
| Certificate Date || 30-01-2006|
| Registration Valid Upto || 30-03-2025|
Interesting Facts About Coorg Orange?
- Coorg orange and other mandarin oranges that are developed in different espresso zones are prized in the market on account of appealing brilliant tinge, effectiveness to strip, high satisfactoriness, less decrepit quality, ideal mix of corrosive and sweetness.
- Despite the fact that Coorg orange was acquainted with the region around 300 years ahead of schedule the development was advanced by the British.
- The ranchers who were developing Coorg Oranges were encountering numerous issues underway and advertising and spoke to the British Government. Dr.Burns, Agriculture Commissioner visited Coorg in the year 1941 and met the ranchers. Mr.Ivor Bull, Managing Director of Consolidated Coffee Estates Limited introduced the genuine position and the situation of orange cultivators to Dr. Consumes, who thusly solicited the Indian Council from Agricultural Research to concentrate in detail the setting up of an examination station to start logical work on orange development.
- Thusly, towards inquire about a little plot of land in Chenankote bequest of the C.C. E. Ltd. was taken on rent and the orange research station was begun. As the zone under orange development expanded, the examination station was moved to two focuses, to be specific Gonicoppal and Chethalli in Coorg District.
- Orange development is additionally exceptionally delicate to outrageous atmosphere changes and bothersome degrees of synthetic concoctions in the dirt.
- Extreme use of synthetic concoctions on the espresso homestead can fundamentally adjust the smaller scale greenery related with citrus. Consequently, earnest consideration should be paid to shield the espresso eco framework from the strain of synthetic compounds and pesticides (Anand and Geetha 2007).